Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    The man was right... :-)

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    The man was right... :-)
    IMHO that's the most desirable small driver, at least with the right fram.

    Figger $300 for the drivers and another $100 for the horns as an average deal it was about 40% off.

    Hoping they found a good home with somebody who will care for them.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    Assuming the same diaphragms, is there a noticable difference in sound between these drivers?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    Between which ones, the 808-8b and ___ ?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    This is just my opinion, but in my world i prefer the tangerine equipped drivers for higher SPL listening and higher XO, and the annular phased drivers for lower level casual listening and anything XO'd below 1khz.

    It could just be "placebo" effect i suppose, but to me the annular phased drivers seem to deliver slightly better(more natural IMO) HF at low levels while the tangerines can be driven harder before encountering driver cry.

    When it comes to "value", the tangerines generally prevail in that contest.

    I own, use, and enjoy both driver types and overall don't have a preference outside of the above statements.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    This is just my opinion, but in my world i prefer the tangerine equipped drivers for higher SPL listening and higher XO, and the annular phased drivers for lower level casual listening and anything XO'd below 1khz.

    Interesting.

    One of these days I must try this thing called listening at lower levels.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    Back when I had a basement, I listened at lower levels...as expected though, the noise floor ate up my headroom...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Back when I had a basement, I listened at lower levels...as expected though, the noise floor ate up my headroom...
    That must be why you no longer have a basement eh Feesh? The noise floor consumed it?
    Life is too short to be taken Cirrus.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Heads Up! 811's and 808-8B

    Nah, the landlord booted me for making too much racket.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.